Authorities in the Democratic Republic of Congo are warning the public not to drop their guard against COVID-19, as the country enters a period that has, in the past, seen higher infection rates.
Public Health, Hygiene, and Preventive Minister Jean-Jacques Mbungani on Monday said the country has seen the lowest infection rates in the last three weeks, but warned there is a threat of a fifth wave if COVID-19 protocols were ignored now.
He said that "the analysis of the data from the first two years clearly indicates that the (prevalence) of the Coronavirus in our country is in the middle and end of the year.
"This indicates the likelihood of a fifth wave between April and July this year, said Patrick Muyaya, government spokesman, quoting the Minister for Health in a statement the Minister gave to the Council of Ministers earlier on Monday.
Dr Jean-Jacques Mbungani himself called on the people "to remain vigilant, to wear mask, to keep washing their hands and to be vaccinated in order to fight the COVID-19 effectively.
"This is the first time that the COVID-19 pandemic has declined simultaneously. This is thanks to responsible and appropriate management. Our government has done everything to contain this fourth wave. The big drop has been observed for the last 3 week."
Health officials also claim that the DRC is on track to defeat the Omicron variant, just as neighbouring countries have seen lower infections in February.